A Blog on Mythology and occasionally on Reality.


This is a Blog on Mythology, both Indian and World and especially the analysis of the myths.

In effect, the interpretation of the inherent Symbolism.


Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Devalued Profession

Yesterday, was Teachers day. However belated, I am reproducing something that had come to me, sometime back, but haven't ceased to appreciate it even today. Needless to say, this brilliant piece has not been written by me, but it sure does echo my thoughts on this matter.

Here's thanking all my teachers for helping me in whatever I am today!!

------------------

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life to become a teacher?" Boasting of his profession, he said to another guest, "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Teacher Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?

Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of disciplined class study time when you can’t make your kids sit even for 5 min. without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

She paused and looked at each and every person at the table –

I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them apologize and mean it. I make them give respect, earn respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I make them read and read and read. On curriculums, values, ideals.

I make them use their brains and spiritual muscles.

I make my students preserve their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel secure as a cohesive unit with their self-esteem and self-confidence intact.

Finally, I make them understand the slow but steady successive steps to take to succeed in life

Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.

Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, let them know that I make a difference in all your lives, educating your kids and preparing them to become CEOs and Doctors and Engineers.

And may I ask you, Mr CEO, What do you make?

His jaw dropped; he went silent. And so also the whole gathering.


Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition.  ~ Jacques Barzun

No comments:

Post a Comment